Monday, September 17, 2007

The Courage of Pink

David Shepherd and Travis PriceIf ever they create a civilian medal of valor, these two boys need to among the first set of recipients.

The story, in a nutshell, is that a new student at their school came to school wearing a pink shirt. Predictably, a bunch of bullies set upon the poor boy and tormented him with the usual sort of name calling.

David Shepherd and Travis Price witnessed this and decided that enough was enough. They went out and bought a ton of pink shirts and passed them around, making especial sure that the bullied kid had one too, and then wore them as a sign of solidarity.

It's gratifying to know that it this stunt really pissed off the bullies. One was seen throwing chairs in the cafeteria, out of frustration, and another approached David and angrily asked him if didn't know that wearing pink was a sign of homosexuality. To David's vast credit, he told the bully that he really didn't care whether or not it was.

It takes courage to stand up for your convictions. I honestly don't know if I would have been able to do the same if I had been in their shoes (and, frankly, suspect that I would have fallen short), but their example certainly inspires me to try harder to speak out the next time I witness a wrong.

No comments:

what is this?

Tell me when this blog is updated. . .